Today I shall talk about 15 health properties of Spirulina. Spirulina is the powerful food supplement.
Spirulina is a microalgae that has been consumed for centuries due to its high nutritional value and supposed health benefits. Today, popular lifestyle personalities endorse Spirulina as a secret, potent “superfood,” a “miracle from the sea.”
Spirulina was once classified as a plant because of “its richness in plant pigments as well as its ability of photosynthesis,”
Health Properties of Spirulina:
Spirulina has some great health-boosting qualities:
- Spirulina is 65% protein and amino acids including the essential fatty acid gamma linolenic acid (GLA) which has gotten a lot of attention for its anti-inflammatory properties, especially when taken with other quality Omega-3 supplements like Fermented Cod Liver Oil. (I suspect that the benefits of GLA in Spirulina are even more than what the studies have found since these studies often use vegetable oils for their GLA source, and the other inflammatory compounds in vegetable oils can interfere with the anti-inflammatory ability.) It contains all essential amino acids.
- Spirulina contains Omega 3-,6 and 9s and is especially high in Omega-3s.
- Spirulina is extremely high in Chlorophyll, which helps remove toxins from the blood and boost the immune system.
- Spirulina has a very high concentration of bio-available iron and is excellent during pregnancy and for those with anemia and will not cause constipation
- Spirulina is a great source of other nutrients including
o vitamins B-1(thiamine), B-2 (riboflavin), B-3(nicotinamide), B-6 (pyridoxine), B-9 (folic acid),
o vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin A and vitamin E.
o It is also a source of potassium, calcium, chromium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, selenium, sodium and zinc.
o Spirulina contains many pigments which may be beneficial and bioavailable”.
- This Spirulina (from Mountain Rose Herbs) was tested be an independent laboratory and found to have an ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) of over 24,000 which is 4x the ORAC score of blueberries. The ORAC score is generally used to measure antioxidant ability and concentration in different foods.
- Spirulina is also incredibly high in calcium with over 26 times the calcium in milk, making it excellent for children, the elderly and during pregnancy.
- Some research has suggested that Spirulina may be helpful in allergies and allergic reactions.
- Spirulina’s phosphorus content makes it helpful as part of a tooth remineralization regimen.
- Emerging evidence suggests that it binds with radioactive isotopes and may be useful for radioactivity exposure or radiation therapy.
- The protein in Spirulina is highly usable and has a net protein utilization rate of between 50-61%
- Spirulina can bind with heavy metals in the body and help remove them.
- Spirulina can increase fat burning during exercise.
- The special form of protein in spirulina beneﬁts those with problems resulting from excessive animal protein, which does not assimilate well and further burdens the body with waste products. Thus, people who have eaten too many animal products and reﬁned foods — typically those who are overweight, diabetic, hypo-glycemic, cancerous, arthritic, or suffering from similar degenerations — often
beneﬁt from of the protein in spirulina.
- Spirulina also protects the kidneys against injury that occurs from taking strong prescription medication.“
Many people promote Spirulina as a treatment for a range of metabolism and heart health issues, including:
- Weight loss,
- High cholesterol,
- Various mental and emotional disorders, including anxiety, stress, depression and attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), memory problems, depression,
- Premenstrual symptoms ,
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig’s disease),
A combination of zinc and Spirulina may help the body clear arsenic in people, whose drinking water has unusually high levels,
- Medical studies are currently under way to determine Spirulina’s effect on viral infections,
- Wound healing
- Improve the immune system in general,
- Has effect on energy levels and chronic fatigue.
Healing properties TCM:
- In general, the blue-green micro-alga spirulina is nurturing, tonifying, and useful for overcoming deﬁciencies,
- at the same time offers cleansing action because of its rich chlorophyll content.
- Its use by those with weakness and poor assimilation is explained by the fact that its nutrients are easy to digest and absorb,
- Increases yin ﬂuids,
- Highly nutritive (nourishes the body);
- Detoxiﬁes the kidneys and liver;
- Builds and enriches the blood;
- Cleanses the arteries;
- Enhances intestinal ﬂora
- Inhibits the growth of fungi, bacteria, and yeasts.
As a Holistic doctor and Nutrition specialist, I highly recommend people get their nutrients from foods in a healthy diet because nutrients work synergistically, and that increases the bioavailability.
Spirulina is a natural “algae” (cyanbacteria) powder that is incredible high in protein and nutrients. When harvested correctly from non-contaminated ponds and bodies of water, it is one of the most potent nutrient sources available. It is largely made up of protein and essential amino acids, and I typically recommend it to clients who decide to remain vegetarian for its high natural iron content. It is often touted for its high B-12 content, though there is a lot of debate about if this particular form is a complete and absorbable form of B-12 and I don’t recommend it completely in place of animal products.
If you want to learn more about energetic and healing property of Superfood, visit our Membership site of follow our online programs or read our books “Food as medicine”.