Author: Liana Nenacheva
Recipe type: Breakfast
I love it when breakfast sort of disguises itself as dessert.
My weekday mornings start with my meditation, yoga, caring about my animals. I answer all the e-mails before I go to the clinic.
Weekends are for slowing down, taking a moment to catch your breath, feeling grateful and yes, maybe a bit of indulgence too. This recipe is one for the weekend.
I am a huge fan of oatmeal but I do not like eating porridge every day. It is a little bit boring. I prefer to make a variation of my oats. I find the consistence of Muesli and Granola too dry for me. The porridge texture feels much better. This is why I love making different kinds of ‘scrambles’, using various fruits and spices.
This spiced pear baked oatmeal is a delightful cross between a pear crumble and an English flapjack, which is a totally different thing from an American flapjack by the way. What makes this spiced pear baked oatmeal truly outstanding are the warm spices that I really like. I mixed my oats with cinnamon, nutmeg, mixed spices and vanilla. I could tell it was going to be amazing as soon as the spices hit the mixture. Mmm…
To match the luxurious flavor of this oatmeal I decided to treat it like a cake and arranged sliced pears on top for a pretty finish. I also sprinkled some toasted walnuts on top but no pressure if you are not a nut lover. Let me tell you I was not disappointed in the least when I finally got to taste it. The texture verges on cake-like while being slightly crumbly with the undeniable flavor of a pear crumble.
Spiced Pear Baked Oatmeal
- 2 eggs, large
- ½ cup/ 110g brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup/ 65g butter, melted
- 1 cup/ 250 ml milk
- 3 cups/ 255 g rolled oats
- 6 pears, small
- 2 tbsp toasted walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325F/170C. Butter a round 9″ deep baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk eggs, brown sugar, spices, vanilla, baking powder, butter and milk.
- Add oats and mix well, then add 3 peeled and chopped pears, mix gently to combine.
- Pour the mixture in the buttered dish and arrange 3 sliced pears on top.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Serve drizzled with honey or golden syrup and sprinkled with walnuts.